• Are your home utility bills high while your desired comfort level is low?
• Is your home very hot during the San Antonio summers and colder than you’d like in the winter?
• Is your home hot and stuffy, even when the AC unit is running?
• Have you thought, “How can I make my home more energy efficient and comfortable without spending an arm and a leg?”
• Are you ready to do your part to help conserve our energy resources?
When considering San Antonio energy efficiency home improvements, it is important to consider all aspects of your decision. Each home is unique and so are its energy efficiency problems. A visual and personal energy audit by a home inspector is a good way to get a thorough analysis on the overall efficiency and functionality of the energy consuming features in your home. A personal home audit will identify underperforming areas to show where cost effective improvements can be made to lower those utility bills, and increase your comfort, health, and safety.
Facts about San Antonio Energy Efficiency:
1. San Antonio area weather (especially in the summer) is extremely hot! The average high during the summer is 95 degrees, and can reach well over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. Meanwhile, the average winter low is 39 degrees, which may not seem very low for Northerners, but this is freezing for South Texans. What does this mean? You need solid energy-efficient systems in your home year-round to keep you comfortable without breaking the bank.
2. Texas is responsible for 3/10′s of U.S. total natural gas production. The average price of natural gas in the San Antonio area is approximately $8.80 per thousand cubic feet, which is $1.80 less than the national average.
3. San Antonio residents pay around $0.01 per kilowatt-hour, which is a little more than the national average for electricity from utilities like CPS Energy.
4. What do facts #2 and #3 mean? Although San Antonio energy costs in general are less than the national average, we are paying more than the average national consumer; when there is one main energy provider in the area (CPS), they can get away with this. This is another reason to seriously consider San Antonio energy savings by making your home more energy efficient.
5. The average San Antonio home is 25-30 years old. Typically, any home more than 5-10 years old can seriously benefit from energy efficiency upgrades, like energy saving heating and cooling equipment, attic insulation, and window film or screens.
A Few Solutions for Making Your San Antonio Home More Efficient and Comfortable
San Antonio Energy Efficient Radiant Barrier
Radiant barrier is a reflective foil insulation system that is placed in an air space to block heat transfer and is a permanent way to reduce energy costs. Radiant barrier reflects radiant heat energy instead of absorbing it and is also unaffected by humidity. It will continue to perform at a consistent level no matter how hot or humid it may be, thus saving energy and money all year long!
During the hot South Texas summers, Radiant Barrier blocks up to 97% of the sun’s radiant heat from being transferred into your structure.
During the cold winter, Radiant Barrier keeps heat from escaping your structure by reflecting up to 97% of the radiant heat back in, thus requiring less work by your air conditioning system.
San Antonio Energy Efficient Window Solar Film
Window films help your home, office, or building with heat, glare, and fade issues, as well as helping to lower monthly utility expenses. In addition, security films help hold shattered glass in place to better protect your property in the case of severe weather or attempted vandalism. A good window film deflects the sun’s rays and keeps the heat out during the hot summers and will also reflect heat in to your home during the winter, saving BIG money on energy costs.
Federal Tax Credits For San Antonio Energy Efficient Window Film:
On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009< which extended energy efficiency tax credits through 2010. Under the extension, individuals purchasing qualifying window films from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2010 may be eligible for a tax credit under Section 25C of the Internal Revenue Code.
Through the end of 2010, the IRS will allow homeowners to take a tax credit of 30% of the cost of solar control window film installed in their primary residence, with a lifetime maximum credit of $1,500 per taxpayer.
The tax credit is a direct dollar for dollar credit, or reduction, in the amount of taxes you must pay, not just a tax deduction from income. The cost of the film itself, not the installation cost, qualifies for this credit so long as it is installed before December 31, 2010.
San Antonio Energy Efficient Sun Screens
Sun Screens block 90% of sunlight and heat which makes up approximately 45% of the heat gain in your home or business.
Sun Screens can make windows up to 15% more efficient in cold months by creating a third layer of insulation for double pane windows.
Heat from the sun’s rays are absorbed by the open weave design of the screen fabric and then dissipated through the small holes in the mesh. The heat is deflected before it even reaches the glass.
Home Energy Efficiency Audits in San Antonio
When you decide to have a home energy efficiency audit, it is important that the professional auditors make the energy efficiency upgrades easy to understand and take the utmost care in performing the evaluation. A home energy audit will also give you valuable details on rebates and tax credits available from San Antonio utility companies and the government on recommended products.
American Energy Saving Products offers energy efficiency solutions in San Antonio and the surrounding areas. Our San Antonio energy efficiency consultants offer a wealth of experience and expertise to give you the valued information and cost-effective recommendations you need to maximize energy efficiency and lowering utility bills.
Every structure is different, therefore, we look at what your needs are on an individual basis and develop an action plan that best suits your situation. All homes are constructed differently, which means that your project deserves the individual attention that American Energy Savings Products provides.